Edible Preservation - Strawberries Eternal


Written by Harriet Fasenfest
For Summer 2007

WALKING THROUGH THE BACKYARD IN SPRING fills me with giddy anticipation. Flowering strawberries stand tall and promise full glory in June. Every year I harvest the crop and every year it produces ever more strawberries. What started out as a sensible patch has grown into something a little less so, but then a certain degree of overzealousness is to blame.

In the early years of my marriage, I would do anything to please my stepson and strawberries seemed the way—they are his favorite fruit. Imagining an appreciative, curly-haired boy walking barefoot through patches of glistening strawberries, I planted large patches of three different varieties: Shuksans, Bentons, and Tristars. Though I still love my patches, I would advise any erstwhile backyard farmer of the following:

• A few strawberry plants go a long way; be patient lest you like to divide and conquer.
• Kids grow up. That curly-haired child is now a teenager with limited interest in the garden (evidently, weeding seems to diminish the joy for some.)
• Freezing excess berries for winter jam making is not only a solution, but a darn good one.

I recently made jam using frozen berries and it tasted just as wonderful as making it with fresh berries. And, as an added plus, it filled the kitchen with warmth and lovely fragrances. It’s a great help should you be short of time, but follow the guide for proper freezing methods. And whether using frozen or fresh berries, there are some jam making tips you should know to understand the science of jam and jelly making.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, please feel free to share your comment here.
For example: Which pictures is the best?

Thanks,
Admin